Do you have to be a U.S. Citizen to receive federal aid?

Question:I submitted my Fafsa successfully but was denied tuition assistance although I am an eligible non-citizen.
Actually, they stated that "I am only eligible to work in the U.S" but couldn't explain why I was denied t.a.! It sounds like b.s to me but..

If I can not receive this type of aid, does anyone know what type I may be eligible for?

And I, too, must say that you have to be a citizen or a permanent resident to get financial aid. I know it from personal experience. I was a college student in US and had to pay out of state tuition entirely out of my pocket. You can try to get a private loan like Redsonja84 suggested but you need a co-signer, and the co-signer has to be an American citizen. That's about it. Certain private universities do offer scholarships to foreign students but they won't cover the overall cost of tuition. My college - a community college - offered Honor courses. If you enrolled in the program (classes are usually a little harder and you have to have and keep very good grades) they charged you as a resident student. At least you are eligible to work. Some companies offer tuition reimbursement, paying up to half your tuition costs.
yes ,you have to be a citizen.
As far as I know you aren't eligible for any assistance. Try a private loan?

You must be one of the following to receive federal
student aid:
• U.S. citizen
• U.S. national (includes natives of American
Samoa or Swain’s Island)
• U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151,
I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)
If you’re not in one of these categories, you must have
an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship
and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the
following designations:
• “Refugee”
• “Asylum Granted”
• “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”
• “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued
before April 1, 1980)
• “Parolee” (You must be paroled into the United States
for at least one year and you must be able to provide evi-
dence from the USCIS that you are in the United States
for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend
to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)
If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent
Residence (I-171 or I-464), you’re not eligible for federal student
financial aid.
If you’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1
or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you’re not
eligible for federal student financial aid.
Also, people with G series visas (pertaining to international
organizations) are not eligible for federal student financial aid.
For more information about other types of visas that are not
acceptable, check with your school’s financial aid office.
Citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive loans from the
FFEL Program at participating foreign schools. Citizens of the
Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall
Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal
Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity
Grants or Federal Work-Study. These applicants should check
with their schools’ financial aid office for more information.

More Related Questions & Answers...
Financial Aid
Higher Education
Home Schooling
Homework Help
Primary & Secondary Education
Special Education
Standards & Testing
Studying Abroad
Words & Wordplay
General - Education