Teacher not following IEP?

My son started kindergarten this year and he has an IEP in place for severe developmental, speech, and occupational delay.

I have proof that his teacher is not following his IEP and his Behavior Management Plan that we set up for him. He is getting into trouble at school. He doesn't want to turn to school anymore. And frankly I'm quite upset.

I have tried contacting his lecturer twice to discuss these issues and she has not got in touch beside me. I've voiced my concerns to his principal yesterday and pretty much hit a dead end. He didn't even know that my son had an IEP surrounded by place.

Is there someone I can contact to complain about this? What exactly are my rights? Can I call a talk to make them follow his IEP?

At this point I don't know what to do.
Who was the head of the group when you organised the IEP. Go to them. I'd say that you're arts school has some pretty major communication problems if the principle doesn't even know your son has an IEP. Even if he wasn't fragment of the team he's still in charge of everything that happens at the institution and I assume would have to sign off on anything that would result in extra expenses or funding for the arts school such as special needs resources, special needs education etc.

You said you contacted the instructor - how? If you did it through phone or e-mail and she hasn't responded take it up a level and confront her in soul. Pick your child up in person (I know this may interrupt your day and you may own to leave work or whatever early) and confront her then. Just enlighten her you would like to talk to her about what is occurring with your child and ask her to explain how she is addressing his problems.

There may be a good object she is not following the IEP like the strategies set out in it don't work or she doesn't have the wisdom to implement them all. The same could go for the BMP but I don't see why. These are usually given after working out what works for a specific child's behaviour.

If you want to send for a meeting call the head of the group that implement the IEP in the first place. Request that the principle be there as it sounds like he wants to know what is happening in his own school.
if you not getting any where with university you need to get in contact beside parent partnership they will help you out with this issue
(they are there for parents) nearby are experts on this
if all that fails contact education

hey versantly
some associates dont know much how to deal with problems like these (thats why they come here)
bet you dont own a child with special needs Source(s): mom of child with gdd
As of right now, I would continue to document everything concerning your child's IEP/BMP including anything else that proves your suitcase against the teacher. Try to do everything in written form rather than vocally so you can keep copies of it, etc. You probably already know that though ;-)

Yes I would ask for an IEP meeting, that way you can prove your covering and who ever is in charge of special ed services in your school such as a resource compliance specialist (they may hold another title in your school, but at our school..they are the ones who are surrounded by charge of IEPs, 504 plans, etc) will be present along with the teacher so you can discuss the situation about the tutor not following the IEP/BMP.
You may want to consider an advocate for the IEP meeting....they assist when you work with your conservatory (or other agency) to plan your child's education by writing letters, attending meetings, grasp what services your child may be entitled to under the law, and negotiating next to administrators. Advocates typically charge by the hour and fees vary widely. Free advocacy services are available.
You may want a special education advocate for the IEP meeting..they legally represent your child in special instruction (IEP) disputes, something advocates cannot do. In practice, almost all the work attorneys do is really advocacy: negotiating next to school administrators to reach a settlement minus involving a judge. Attorneys also bill hourly and are usually far more expensive than advocates.

If nothing get resolved in the IEP meeting or if things improve near the teacher than regress , then I would contact who is in charge of ESE services for your conservatory district and/or the superintendent of your school district.
If nothing gets resolved in attendance, then I would contact my state education agency (SEA) and file a complaint (filing a complaint near the SEA is part of procedural safeguards..info below) (you can pursue the other options within procedural safeguards as well).


Under the law (IDEA), parents have the right to provoke decisions about their child's eligibility, evaluation, placement, and the services that the school provides to the child (such as not following his IEP). If parents disagree next to the school's actions-or refusal to take action-in these matters, they have the right to pursue a few options. These options are covered in procedural nontoxic guards in which by law, the school is suppose to provide you a copy of.
This is a brief description of your option:

Try to reach an agreement. Parents can talk with college officials about their concerns and try to reach an agreement. Sometimes the agreement can be intervening. For example, the parents and school can agree to try a plan of instruction or a placement for a certain period of time and see how the student does.

Ask for mediation. During mediation, the parents and arts school sit down with someone who is not involved in the disagreement and try to reach an agreement. The college may offer mediation, if it is available as an option for resolving disputes prior to due process.

Ask for due process. During a due process hearing, the parents and conservatory personnel appear before an impartial hearing officer and present their sides of the story. The audible range officer decides how to solve the problem. (Note: Mediation must be available at least at the time a due process hearing is requested.)

File a complaint near the state education agency. To file a complaint, generally parents write directly to the SEA and say aloud what part of IDEA they believe the school has violated. The agency must resolve the complaint inside 60 calendar days. An extension of that time limit is permitted only if exceptional circumstances exist with respect to the complaint.

For a more detailed copy closer to what you should have received, you can find them at these 2 links:

An IEP is a federal document, and not only can the teacher go and get in serious trouble for not following it, but the school and district can too.
I also suggest visiting Wright's Law http://www.wrightslaw.com they cover you and your child's rights, how to be an successful advocate for your child and more.
I would preserve going up the chain of command...contact the superintendent. Also, set up a meeting with the special ed. educationalist in his school. she/he should know what steps you should take surrounded by order to enforce the iep.
enjoy you tried teh case manager
special ed director
school board

if this is a alien school and only a week into t ehschool year--the pronciapl may not know every child yet..

if he have such severe delays--he shoudlhave teh support of an inclusion aide if he is in a regualr class Source(s): VERSASNTLY__IF YOU DON"T WANT TO ANSWER QUESTIONS GET OFF ANSWERS__


to other responders--feel free to report anything that is 'NOT AN ANSWER' using teh report abuse button.....
It would facilitate if you gave a bit more information. Is your son in an inclusion placement or a Special Day Class? How long has college been in session?

If school lately started in the last week or so, I would suggest that you try to be a little tolerant. I know that's it's hard when your child doesn't want to go to school, but maintain in mind that there are many kindergartners who don't enjoy special needs who are crying, missing their moms, upset with being within a new environment, and just generally miserable as they produce the transition from preschool into kindergarten. This is a big rite of passage, and it can take some time to adjust.

I teach kids next to special needs, grades K-2. I am on a regular elementary school campus where near are 2 general education kindergarten classes, and I see as many or more kids within those classes having a tough transition time as I do in my own class. I will also tell you that, within my district, we just finished our 6th day of class, and we are all still within the process of establishing the schedules and routines of the year. When does my class get library? What day is PE morning? When do the speech therapist and OT come, and where will they be working? Who hasn't returned their Emergency Medical Information forms yet? Do we enjoy the Free/ Reduced Lunch forms from everyone who needs it? They just changed the bus routes - what bus does he ride now? etc, etc.

I also enjoy to say that, even as an established Special Day Class teacher, I don't always take the IEPs and Behavior Management Plans immediately. It's unfortunate, but there are glitches surrounded by the system, and the paperwork doesn't always reach the right people as promptly as we would close to. It sometimes takes the school secretary several calls to grasp the essential paperwork delivered to me.

If the school year has a moment ago begun, please give the teacher the benefit of the doubt. I don't show in any way to excuse delays surrounded by your son getting the services he needs; I am just saying that the instigation of the school year is hectic at best, and the teacher has a class full of children who adjectives need and deserve her attention. My suggestion would be to send an email to the teacher if you can, near copies to the principal and the director of special education services. If you can't do it via email, write a note and send it to the trainer and c/c to the administrators. When it's in writing, you have the documentation that you enjoy made the contacts, and people tend to take the written word more seriously than phone calls - the composition trail is valuable in a number of ways. Say something similar to, "I am concerned that 'John' is having a difficult time in his transition to kindergarten, and I am requesting a meeting of the IEP squad to discuss the implementation of his IEP and Behavior Management Plan. Please respond with available dates and times that we can bump into." As a parent, you have the right to request a team meeting whenever you grain it is needed. Source(s): Personal and professional experience. I am conservator for my sister who has Down syndrome, and I also have a nephew who has severe autism. I become a special education teacher because of my experiences as a family beneficiary.
Document everything and go up and beyond the principal if your child's civil rights are being violated. Call a attorney that specializes in special ed and knows the laws concerning IEP's.

Related Questions:
  • Can't digit out my locker combination?
  • How do you become smarter??
  • Scholarships for children near Autism for music programme? My grandson take piano in a minute but it's vastly costly.?
  • I the creeps my child [25 months] may hold autism?
  • How may days are gone for college?
  • Financial Aid
    Higher Education
    Home Schooling
    Homework Help
    Primary & Secondary Education
    Special Education
    Standards & Testing
    Studying Abroad
    Words & Wordplay
    General - Education